Thursday, November 3, 2011

tUnE-YarDs Tuneage


Last night the eccentric and brilliant Merrill Garbus of Tune-Yards hooped and hollered her way through an epic performance at the Music Box on Hollywood Blvd. Donning her usual face paint paired with a purple and green ensemble, the unique and gifted singer put on a show like nothing I have ever seen before. As a band of one electric bassist/percussionist, two saxophonists and the occasional appearance of opening act DJ, Cut Chemist behind her; Merrill banged on her drums, creating 'on the spot' drum loops, layered with the sounds of a rocked out ukelele. I have never heard or experienced anything more amazingly weird, joyful, soulful, or funky. The music spoke to my inner groove sista as I mooved and shaked the entire show, smiling like a punch-drunk fool. Tune-Yards has officially claimed the number one spot on my list of the best shows I have ever been lucky enough to see. If and when, you have the opportunity to see Merrill doing what she does, GO. Seeing her and her band was an absolute delight.


Album Download 

No comments:

Post a Comment