Sunday, November 27, 2011

I'll Take Care of U

Well, I, won't personally take care of you, sorry. But what will take care of your auditory needs is one of, if not all three versions of the Jamie XX produced song, I'll Take Care of U. The song has lived many lives, with its most recent rebirth facilitated by Drake. Gil Scott-Heron's soulful and gritty version of the song got a serious rework when the incomparable young talent, Jamie XX, percussionist and producer for the band The XX, chose to remix his entire album. Taking the song and adding some serious melody, XX completely changed the essence of the song, making it appealing enough for Drake to want to rap over it.


I'm sure by now most of you have heard the above version by Drake ft Rihanna. I have to hand it to Drake for making the wise (if not the wisest) choice to work with Jamie XX on this particular track. The lyrics are what I believe to be some of his best and Rihanna sounds great too. Drake even knew this song was so good he named the whole freaking album after it. Way to go, Drizzy, way to go.


Then, this happened. 
Florence, the woman with the voice that calls upon the moon, chose to sing her own version of the song. Which in my opinion, is the best of all three versions. Jamie XX's music, Drake's lyrics and Florence's voice make for one hell of a powerful song.
Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie XX
And last but not least, here is the download for the remix that started it all. The more you listen to this song, in any form, the more you like it. Guaranteed.

I'll Take Care of U-Gil Scott-Heron (Jamie XX Remix)



1 comment:

  1. Wow I had no idea about all of this - obviously obsessed with the Drake version, but all 3 are pretty incredible. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete