Monday, January 9, 2012

Meatballs; 2012's answer to the Cupcake

There's been quite a lot of talk about balls lately. Balls here, balls there, balls just about, everywhere.*

 <Pause for obligatory "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID" moment>
aaaaaaannnd...
now, we can continue forward.

No, I'm not talking about those kind of balls. I'm talking about MEAT-balls. Hence the title of this post, silly.
*(Sorry for the cheap "ball" reference opener. It just feels necessary when writing a post about meatballs.)

 It seems that over the past few months people are discussing the new, the old, the how to, the ins and outs and all the other who's its and what's its concerning the wide world of meatballs. From segments on Rachel Ray dedicated to the craft of meat-balling, to restaurants like NYC's The Meatball Shop, quickly establishing itself as a neighborhood staple, it's hard to ignore the apparent shift in interest from small cups of cake, to small balls of meat.
THEN


NOW
Photo Credit: themeatballshop.com

Before my visit to New York city this December, I made a list of activities crucial to the success of my trip. My list was short and to the point, and read as follows:
1) Purchase east coast 'exclusive' clothing and/or accessories
2) attend a Broadway show
3) dine at as many different restaurants as physically possible.

You might think it no great feat to shop and eat all around the city whilst singing tunes from Priscilla Queen of the Desert, but let me tell you, it is not as simple as it seems. Items one and two were easier to cross off my list due to a keen eye for statement pieces and the generosity of a family friend who funded my trip to the theatre. Item three was not as simple, and required more time and consideration. To help me navigate my way around the restaurants of New York city, I employed my Uncle, a kindred foodie and West Village resident, to compose a directory of affordable 'must-eats' for me. When I opened my email and saw the list for the first time I was impressed, excited and overwhelmed. I imagine this moment was somewhat akin to the way Moses felt after he first saw the Ten Commandments atop Mount Sinai. The only difference is, my list was five times the size.

I knew choosing the restaurants within the vast list, for the few precious meal slots, would be hard. But for a foodie like me, this task seemed near impossible. After studying and researching the list for more time then I'd like to admit, a couple of restaurants did begin to stand out. Having meatballs fresh on my radar, I became particularly excited when I crossed The Meatball Shop in the 'Lower East side' section of my guide. This was a restaurant devoted to serving meatballs and not much else. So I knew that The Meatball Shop was a 'no exception, must-eat' on my trip. It was just a matter of when.
Cut to Sunday morning at 2:45. With three extra dry martinis, one nightclub and two bars under my belt, the next logical progression of the evening was to eat. Again. Wandering the bustling streets of the Lower East side led my friends and myself straight to the doors of none other then, The Meatball Shop. The time for my meatball moment had come.

The Meatball Shop was quaint and crowded and smelled like your grandma's cooking. (That is if your Grandma is/was an old world Italian cook with mad skills in the kitchen.) The dimly lit space felt friendly and casual, all while maintaining an air of sophistication. Most notable about the restaurant was the apparent, built in element of fun. A fill in yourself menu made the process of picking your meal even more exciting, while upbeat, familiar tunes played from the speakers. Plus, the price range was very much suited to my less then extravagant budget.
The Meatball Shop's 'fill in the blank' menu
After serious deliberation, I opted to go with the spicy pork balls, with spicy meat sauce, over the 'everything but the kitchen sink' salad.
 The meal transcended 'delicious' and took me straight into a full blown food experience. The balls were perfectly constructed with just the right amount of zing to them. Their wonderfully light consistency was attributed to the use of bread, instead of breadcrumbs, as the glue for the ball. (A great trick to note when making your own balls at home.) The sauce was robust with flavor without overpowering the dish. All of which was a top a colorful salad including garbanzo beans, beets, tomatoes and carrots. Each ingredient had a purpose and complimented the plate, while letting the star of the dish, the meatballs, shine.
Meatballs, especially these ones, are great at any time, but there is something to be said about having them under the aforementioned circumstance. After drunk munching on a spicy pork meatball, a bacon wrapped hot dog suddenly feels like nothing more then one big joke.
After leaving New York, I found myself fantasizing about my meal at The Meatball Shop. When my Uncle gave my dad The Meatball Shop cookbook for Hannukah just three weeks later, I recognized this as an act of divine intervention. The universe was clearly telling me to stop dreaming and start balling. And that's exactly what I did.
New Years was just around the corner and I knew that the spicy pork balls must make an appearance at my dinner party. So I got to cooking.
Here is the recipe for the spicy pork balls straight from The Meatball Shop cookbook:
Serves 6-8 people
 
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 pounds pork shoulder, ground (have your butcher grind it for you)
1 tablespoon  salt
4 jarred hot cherry peppers, minced
¼ cup hot cherry pepper pickling liquid
4 slices fresh white bread, minced
3 large eggs

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Drizzle the olive oil into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.
2. Combine the ground pork, salt, cherry peppers, pickling liquid, bread, and eggs in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.

3. Roll the mixture into round, golf-size meatballs (about 1 ½ inches), making sure to pack the meat firmly. Place the balls in the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.

4. Roast for 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. A meat thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball should read 165 degrees F.
5. Allow the meatballs to cool for 5 minutes in the baking dish before serving.



Needless to say, they were a huge hit. Because, let's face it no other food is as comforting, endearing or approachable as meatballs. Especially with a few drinks under your belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment